Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Job Security: What Rich Rod Needs To Do In 2010

One of the biggest questions going into 2010 is can Rich Rodriguez survive this season and restore the program back to its proper place in the college football world.  A lot of fans have an opinion on what kind of season Michigan must have for Rodriguez to keep the job and really turn the corner going into 2011.  I think many are mistaken in thinking that if Rodriguez doesn’t win at least 8 games he will be sent packing at the end of the season.  I personally think that the minimum threshold for Rodriguez will be seven wins, but it is largely going to depend on which teams Michigan defeats and how they compete against the upper tier teams in the conference.

Anything less than 7 wins and a return to a bowl game should and will get him run out of town.  6-6 would be just a one win improvement, and a Motor City Bowl bid would not cut it for any Michigan fan after how quickly we’ve seen coaches like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer turn former powerhouse programs into national title contenders.  

Michigan has three prime rivals that they must take care of business against: Notre Dame, Michigan State, and Ohio State.  A 7-win season could gain Rodriguez another year if he can get wins against two of these three rivals.  Michigan State is a crucial game because I don’t think anyone, myself included, could bear to see the smug grin on Mark Dantonio’s face if he was somehow able to beat Michigan three straight years (including two wins at the Big House).  It is time to send Michigan State back to the little brother spot where they belong.  Any 7 win season that includes a victory over Ohio State to end this terrible losing streak would bring Rodriguez back into good graces and give confidence that he is the man for the job.  However, a 7-win season with just one win against either Michigan State or Notre Dame would probably lead to Jim Harbaugh being announced as the new Michigan head coach as early as December.  Even as a staunch Rodriguez supporter, I would agree it was time for him to go. 

An eight win campaign all but guarantees Rich’s return because we would likely see Michigan playing in a potential New Year's Day bowl and all talk would turn to Michigan’s pursuit of the 2011 Big Ten Title.   Barring an 8-0 start coupled with four straight blowout losses to end the season, I do not see any way Rich fails to survive to 2011.

One thing that I want to stress is that anyone rooting for Rodriguez to fail this year is not rooting for Michigan.  If Rodriguez fails, the program fails, and Michigan will continue to suffer.  After the past three years spent recruiting the types of players for the spread offense, Michigan would only be set back further by blowing it up and having to start over with a new coach and a new system.  Anyone that wants to see the same futility that we’ve seen the last two years all over again needs to seriously reconsider their stance on what they are hoping for from this season.

My prediction is that Michigan makes it to 8 victories.  After seeing marked improvement from a young and talented roster, David Brandon will be announcing a contract extension for Rodriguez this off-season rather than stepping to the podium to introduce the newest head coach at the University of Michigan.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think 7 will do it. I just have a problem seeing it unless they come out of the first 4 games no worse than 3-1. I just have a hard time seeing 7 W's after a 2-2 start. With the way the schedule plays out that would be awfully hard to pull off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting points. There is no doubt Rich Rod has not received great support at Michigan. But, you cannot continue to have below average or average seasons at a school like UM. 8 wins are a must. I don't think that UM can beat OSU, but MSU and ND are possible. I think the season hinges a bit on the opener. Lose it and I question whether they are strong enough to recover.

    As far as Harbaugh, don't you think NFL is more likely than UM? Big money, ultimate league.

    I agree, hoping for a losing season is no way to get UM on the fast track back to the top of the Big Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The opener will be huge for momentum and confidence with such a young squad. Win that, against a solid opponent like UConn, and everyone will be feeling much better on Sunday September 5th.

    The Harbaugh point is interesting. It all depends on what he'd rather do. I do think his ultimate goal is the NFL but if he gets the UM job before being offered to coach any team in the league then he is a guy that could be a UM lifer. Hopefully we don't even have to consider another coaching search at the end of the season after the fiasco that occurred last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michigan - 7 wins
    Lions - 8 wins
    Andrew > Jake

    ReplyDelete