The Gauntlet
Oct. 2 @ Indiana
Oct. 9 vs. Michigan State
Oct. 16 vs. Iowa
Oct. 30 @ Penn State
I look at this part of the schedule as the ultimate make-or-break test. With three teams that are expected to finish in the upper half of the Big Ten and a road trip to Indiana (who took Michigan to the wire in 2009) this part of the schedule will show us how far Michigan has truly come under Rich Rodriguez.
The Indiana game scares me. I worry a young team off to a hot start might take a glance by the lowly Hoosiers. However, I don’t think any of the veterans will let anyone on the team forget just forget how close Indiana was to beating Michigan in the Big House last year. I think Michigan’s offense will absolutely explode in this game. I can see this being a 40+ point game from the offense and the defense will do enough to keep the Indiana offense under wraps. Indiana will have nowhere near the same talent level on the field as Michigan and I think it will definitely show.
The Michigan State game is shaping up to be one of the most important on the schedule. Mark Dantonio must not be allowed to win three straight in this series. This game is destined to be a shootout. Kirk Cousins is going to put up big numbers this year and we all know our pass defense is not going to be that great. However, I do not think Michigan State is going to have the speed on the edges of their defense to keep up with our offense. I don’t see Michigan losing this game with so much on the line.
Iowa is a team that is a bit overrated headed into this season. As we saw last year, Denard Robinson’s speed can present big time trouble for the Hawkeye defense. I do think Iowa’s offense will be able to carve Michigan up between the hashes using the tight end this year, unless we see some dramatically improved safety play. With this game being in the Big House, I truly think this game is a toss-up and I could see either team coming out on top.
A bye week right before Penn State could be a great thing. Everyone is a little down on the Nittany Lions but they are never easy to beat in Happy Valley. I think Michigan will potentially struggle in this game playing in one of the most hostile environments in the Big Ten. With that said, the bye week might just allow the coaching staff to work enough new wrinkles in to give the Wolverines the edge.
Worst Case Scenario:
Michigan beats Indiana but drops close decisions to all three of the other teams and goes 1-3 through a key stretch in the middle of the season. To make matters worse, another loss to Michigan State really piles the heat on Rodriguez and Michigan fans begin turning their eyes to hot coaching prospects across the country.
Best Case Scenario:
Not that it is impossible, but I do not see Michigan getting through this stretch unbeaten. The best case scenario is that they get wins over Indiana and Michigan State and find a way to split the Penn State and Iowa games. I think they maybe get the Iowa game and drop a tough one to Penn State on the road at night. Either way, I think everyone would feel pretty good about getting wins in three of the first four Big Ten games.
No comments:
Post a Comment